LAST UPDATED: April 1, 2019
- 2. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- 3. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES NEW BALANCE COLLECT ABOUT ME AND HOW?
- 4. FOR WHAT PURPOSES DOES NEW BALANCE USE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- 5. WHAT IS THE LEGAL BASIS FOR NEW BALANCE’S USE OF MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- 6. WITH WHOM DOES NEW BALANCE SHARE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- 7. HOW IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION KEPT SECURE?
- 8. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
- 10. HOW DO LINKS FROM NEW BALANCE TO OTHER SITES OR APPS AFFECT ME?
- 11. FOR HOW LONG DOES NEW BALANCE KEEP MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- 12. HOW CAN I OPT-OUT/UNSUBSCRIBE FROM NEW BALANCE MARKETING EMAILS?
- 13. HOW CAN I ACCESS, UPDATE OR DELETE "MY ACCOUNT" INFORMATION?
- www.newbalance.com.sg, and any other website operated by or on behalf of New Balance Singapore Pte Ltd or any of its affiliates (the "Website"):
- all services made available by New Balance through the Website; and
- the Stride I.D. Experience made available by New Balance in selected stores.
2. WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
3. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES NEW BALANCE COLLECT ABOUT ME AND HOW?
Personal information (or personal data) is any information which identifies you personally whether directly (for example, your name) or indirectly (for example, information about your use of the Service).
Information you give to us
We collect the following personal information from you:
- Basic identity and contact information:We collect your name, title, postal/delivery address, email address and telephone number if you purchase any products on our Website. We may also collect some or all of this information if you:
- register for “My Account” on our Website;
- complete the “About Me” questionnaire to tell us about your shopping preferences, in which we may also collect your gender, shoe size, shoe width, clothing size, hobbies, shopping preferences, information about your weekly workouts and whether you have kids and their genders;
- sign up to receive our marketing communications;
- enter any of our competitions, contests, promotions, surveys or questionnaires, in which we may also collect your social media handle(s);
- contact or correspond with us about the Service (or any component of it); and/or
- participate in a New Balance run club.
- Payment information: We collect your payment card details and billing address if you purchase any products on our Website. We won’t retain your payment card details for longer than is necessary in order to fulfil your order. However, if you register for “My Account", you can choose to store your payment card details in your account so that you don’t have to re-enter your full payment card details the next time you make a purchase. Please see section 7. HOW IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION KEPT SECURE? to find out more about how we safeguard your payment card details;
- Transaction information: We keep a record of your order history, including the products purchased and the date, time and value of each transaction, and your billing and shipping address;
- Account login: If you register for “My Account”, we keep a record of your account login username and email address in case you need reminding of these in the future;
- Correspondence and feedback: We collect any additional personal information that you may provide to us from time to time when you visit a New Balance retail store, if you complete a survey or questionnaire or contact us by email, letter, telephone or through our Website. If you contact us by telephone, we may also record the call for training and service improvement purposes, and make notes in relation to your call; and
- Marketing and communications preferences: We collect information regarding your preferences in receiving marketing from us and your communications preferences.
Information you give to us if you participate in the Stride I.D. Experience
The New Balance Stride I.D. Experience features scan technology provided by our technology provider Volumental that uses proprietary imaging technology to create a three-dimensional (3D) image of your feet and generates key measurements about you and your feet, including your foot length, foot width, arch height, strike, flexibility and foot size.
The scan technology can also be combined with New Balance’s gait analysis technology, which involves conducting a video analysis of your feet as you run to measure your gait.
We also collect your gender and information about the shoe model(s) you try on and whether or not you make a purchase.
Together, this information is used to help us provide a better fit recommendation matched to your needs and find the perfect shoes to optimise the performance of athletes.
Where you elect to receive a copy of your 3D foot scan (and where applicable a snapshot image from your gait analysis video) we also collect your name, email address, telephone number and age range and retain this information with your Stride I.D. and gait measurement metrics. If you elect not to receive a copy of your 3D foot scan image or snapshot image from your gait analysis video, we will delete your gait analysis video and will retain only the resulting measurement data from which we cannot identify you. We retain this information in order to better understand and improve how our products fit.
We share the measurement data (but never your contact information such as name and email address) with Volumental, who use this information to improve their scanning technology. Volumental also retains the raw images from your scan and the resulting 3D mesh image for the same purpose of improving their foot scanning technology to offer customers best fit solutions. We never share any contact information. If, after your scan, you object to the processing as described in this section, we will delete your scan and instruct Volumental to do the same.
Information we collect from other sources
We also obtain information about you from other sources:
- CCTV: If you visit a New Balance retail store, we may collect your image as a result of our use of CCTV.
- your browsing activity and use of the Service; and
- the device you have used to access our Website (including the make, model and operating system, internet protocol (IP) address (from which we may derive your geographic location), browser type and mobile device identifiers).
- Social Media: If you mention New Balance or New Balance-related information in a posting on any social media platform, such as Facebook, Instagram or YouTube, we may collect publicly-available information about your post, including your name, social media handle, your location, the date and time of your post, the content of your post and any images and/or videos included with your post. We will only collect data that the social media provider has expressly permitted us to receive as a result of your privacy settings on those social media platforms. We do not have any control over the privacy practices of the social media platforms; please see their privacy statements for details of how they use your personal information, whom they share it with and how to manage your privacy settings on those platforms.
- Except for information we collect through the operation of CCTV in New Balance retail stores, which we keep separate at all times, we may combine the personal information we collect from you and from the other sources listed above. We do this to help us ensure that the information we hold about you is kept up to date and to form a clearer picture about our customer base so that we can understand the kinds of offers in which you might be interested and improve the Service in the future.
4. FOR WHAT PURPOSES DOES NEW BALANCE USE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use the personal information that you submit to us or that we collect about you through your use of the Service for the following purposes:
To process your orders and returns
We need to use your personal information to process any orders and returns you make in accordance with our Terms and Conditions. This activity includes contacting you to confirm when you have successfully placed an order, managing payments, fees and charges, and collecting and recovering any money owed to us. It requires us to process your identity and contact information, payment information and transaction information.
To register you for, and manage, "My Account”
If you wish to create an account using the "My Account" service, we need to process your identity and contact information. You will also be asked to provide account login details. Once the account has been created, we use this information to identify you as a new or returning customer and manage your account going forwards. This includes keeping a record of your account login details (your username and email address) in case you need reminding of these in the future.
To provide you with the services available through our Website
In order to provide certain services through our Website, we need to process your personal information. For example, New Balance uses your personal information for the following purposes with respect to providing you with services available through our Website:
- “Find a Store” feature: by inputting your post code or city, we can help you to locate a New Balance retail store;
- Inventory: We use your location information to provide you recommendations of stores nearby that have product inventory available;
- “Help” or “Live Chat”: New Balance customer service representatives may communicate with you in real time to assist you with any questions you have while you are on the Website;
- Idea Submission: to submit an invention and idea for New Balance’s evaluation, we request you to fill out a submission form with your name, company, address, phone and email so we may contact you if needed regarding your submission;
- Job Application: if you apply for a job through our Website, you will be taken to our third party provider Workday’s site and asked to provide an email address to create a Workday account; and/or
- Newsletter: to sign up to our newsletter, we will collect your email address in order to send you the newsletters.
To manage your relationship with us
To operate the Stride I.D. Experience
If you participate in the Stride I.D. Experience and have provided your consent to do so, we use the information collected from you to:
- send you a copy of or provide access through your New Balance Account to your 3D foot scan and (where applicable) a snapshot image from the video of you running for your gait analysis;
- provide analysis and advice as to which products are best suited to your needs;
- call you to get your feedback on your Stride I.D. Experience and find out how our products are performing;
- contact you by telephone or email about other New Balance products, services and offers where you have consented to receiving these marketing communications from us; and
- carry out analysis on the information received (on an aggregated, non-identifiable basis) to help improve the Stride I.D. Experience.
For more information about the Stride I.D. Experience, see section 3. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES NEW BALANCE COLLECT ABOUT ME AND HOW.
To keep New Balance retail stores secure
We operate CCTV at our retail stores where necessary to monitor security and safeguard the safety of visitors and staff. There are prominent signs in the areas where CCTV is operated. Your image may be collected if you visit one of our stores. Any CCTV footage is automatically deleted after three months except where required by law enforcement agencies in limited circumstances where we are required retain the footage for the prevention and detection of crime or for court actions.
Please note that access to CCTV footage is restricted to authorised New Balance staff only. It is not shared with any third party, except law enforcement agencies in limited circumstances where we are required to make such disclosure by law for the prevention and detection of crime.
To deliver relevant marketing to you (which involves automated decision-making and profiling in order to personalise and improve your customer experience)
Our marketing communications
If you have provided your consent to do so, we will use your identity, contact information and preferences to send you marketing communications by email about our products and services, including our newsletters and details of special offers and promotions which we think might be of interest to you.
You can unsubscribe or opt-out of our marketing communications at any time. See section 12. HOW CAN I OPT-OUT/UNSUBSCRIBE FROM NEW BALANCE MARKETING EMAILS? for details of how to do this.
Our use of automated decision-making and profiling
What this means for you is that, if you have agreed to receiving marketing communications from us, you are more likely to receive messages, special offers and promotions that we think you might like and are tailored to your preferences, based on your previous activity. It also means that we do not send the same marketing communications to all of our customers, so you may not be made the same offers as another customer.
In addition, we may use the information we collect about your preferences in order to display content and offers on our Website and other websites and apps that are more relevant to you and your interests. This may include delivering targeted advertising on our Website or other websites and apps that you access, or limiting the number of times you see a particular advertisement.
Please note that the legal basis for us tailoring our marketing communications to your preferences is that it is in our legitimate interests to do so, having taken into account whether your interests and fundamental rights and freedoms are overridden by this type of processing. See section 5. WHAT IS NEW BALANCE’S LEGAL BASIS FOR ITS USE OF MY PERSONAL INFORMATION? for more information about what our legitimate interests are.
To communicate with you on social media
If you include New Balance or New Balance-related information in a social media posting, we may use the publicly-available information that you post to communicate with you regarding the post. We may also aggregate the data with data from other social media posts regarding New Balance (from which you cannot be identified) to better understand and more effectively manage New Balance’s social media presence and marketing campaigns.
To run competitions and contests
If you choose to enter a competition, contest or survey that we run, including those that we run on third party sites, we need to use your identity and contact information and any other personal information that you provide at the time of entry so that we can manage the competition or contest (as applicable).
To administer and protect our business and Website
We process your personal information in the course of administering our business and Website. This includes troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data.
To use data analytics to improve our Website marketing and the services available through our Website
We rely on the use of personal information to build a clearer picture of our customers both as a group and as individuals. We do this by using cookies and similar technologies to capture and analyse your use of our Website, the services available through them and your interaction with any marketing communications that we send to you. We may also aggregate this information on an anonymous basis with information relating to other customers for analytical purposes.
This enables us to serve you better as a customer as the information we gather helps us to improve:
- our Website and the information technology systems (including security) that are used to operate them;
- our product selection and the services we provide through our Website; and
- the effectiveness of our marketing communications to you.
To provide and improve Customer Care
We use your personal information to be able to provide and improve our Customer Care service. For example, we use the personal information we hold about you to help us address any enquiries or complaints you have made, or deal with any dispute which may arise in the course of us providing the Service to you.
To conduct market research
We may invite you to be involved in market research, such as customer surveys or questionnaires. If you accept our invitation, we will use your feedback to improve the Service. If you tell us that you don't wanted to be contacted about market research, or you don't accept our invitation, we will respect this choice and it won't affect your ability to access and use the Service.
To comply with our legal obligations and to detect, prevent and investigate other actual or suspected violations of law or misuse of our Service
In certain circumstances, we use your personal information only to the extent required in order to enable us to comply with our legal obligations, including to detect, prevent and investigate fraud or to facilitate the exercise of your consumer rights. In addition, we may need to use your personal information to detect, prevent and investigate any other actual or suspected violations of law or misuse of our Service.
5. WHAT IS THE LEGAL BASIS FOR NEW BALANCE’S USE OF MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Data protection law requires us to only process your personal information if there is a legal basis for us to do so. These are set out in data protection law and we rely on a number of different legal bases for the processing we carry out. These are as follows:
In certain circumstances, we process your personal information after obtaining your consent to do so for the purposes of:
- sending you marketing communications;
- conducting market research; and
- operating the Stride I.D. Experience and providing our customers with advice on their best shoe fit in connection with the Stride I.D. Experience.
Necessary for the performance of a contract between us
It is necessary for us to process your identity and contact information, payment information, transaction information and account login details for the performance of certain contracts between us. This includes, for example, terms and conditions relating to the use of our Website and the services made available through it, the sale of our products and the operation of our competitions and contests. In particular, we rely on this legal ground to process your orders, returns and payments, register you for “My Account”, manage your account and your relationship with us, run competitions and contests and provide and improve Customer Care.
Necessary to comply with our legal obligations
In certain circumstances, we use your personal information only to the extent required in order to enable us to comply with our legal obligations, including to detect, prevent and investigate fraud or to facilitate the exercise of your consumer rights.
Necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests
- provide our customers with products and services that are as useful and beneficial as possible, including by personalising our contact with customers and telling customers about offers that we think might be of interest to them;
- develop and improve our Website to enhance the customer experience;
- safeguard the security and effective operation of the Service;
- better understand our customer base by engaging with customers and conducting research into, and analysis of, how customers use each of our services and interact with us so that we can improve those services as well as our product selection, marketing activities and communications (all of which could also benefit you);
- train our staff so that we can provide our customers with a better customer service;
- ensure effective operational management and internal administration of our business, including in relation to keeping our records, Website updated, document retention, IT security, compliance with regulatory guidance and exercise or defence of legal claims; and
- provide a safer, more secure environment for visitors and staff at New Balance retail stores, and to protect our property.
6. WITH WHOM DOES NEW BALANCE SHARE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- Third party service providers: For the purpose of operating our business, we may need to transfer your personal information to our third party service providers who use that information to conduct New Balance business on our instructions and act as “data processors” on our behalf for the purposes of applicable data protection law. Some of our third party service providers are located outside of Singapore.
For example, our third party service providers assist us with credit card processing, shipping, data management, email distribution, information analysis, promotions management and other related services for New Balance. We provide our preferred service providers with the personal information they need to perform their services and work with them to ensure your personal information is protected.
Where you elect to participate in the Stride I.D. Experience, we share certain information with Volumental as described in section 3. WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES NEW BALANCE COLLECT ABOUT ME AND HOW.
- Recipients resulting from legal requirements:We may disclose your personal information:
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to protect the rights, property or safety of our business, our customers or others. This includes, in specific cases, sharing information with law enforcement or regulatory agencies, or authorised third parties, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or actual or suspected violation of law or misuse of our Service that may expose us and/or any customer or third party to legal risks or liability; and
- to successors in title or replacement operators of all or part of our business.
7. HOW IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION KEPT SECURE?
We have put in place a variety of security measures to protect the personal information we collect about you from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised manner, altered or disclosed.
For example, to ensure the information you provide online is secure during transmission, we use encryption technology and Secure Socket Layers (SSL). These controls are certified by Entrust. You can review our security certificate using your browser by clicking on the closed lock or solid key image at the bottom of your browser on any of the secure pages on our site. This will display the Service security information.
8. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13 (a "Child"), including from any Child who participates in the Stride I.D. Experience. If you become aware that your Child or a Child for which you have parental responsibility has provided personal information to us without your consent, contact Customer Care hotline +65 3163 4280 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we become aware that a Child has submitted personal information to us, we will promptly delete the information and we will not disclose it to third parties.
10. HOW DO LINKS FROM NEW BALANCE TO OTHER SITES OR APPS AFFECT ME?
11. FOR HOW LONG DOES NEW BALANCE KEEP MY PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR?
- legal obligation(s) under applicable law to retain information for a certain period of time;
- statute of limitations under applicable law;
- the warranty period for any products you have purchased from us;
- potential or actual disputes; and
- guidelines issued by relevant data protection authorities.
Otherwise, we securely delete your personal information from our systems when it is no longer needed.
12. HOW CAN I OPT-OUT/UNSUBSCRIBE FROM NEW BALANCE MARKETING EMAILS?
If for any reason you would like to stop receiving emails sent by New Balance that notify you of upcoming events, promotions, sales, new products or contain other marketing content, simply click the unsubscribe link provided at the bottom of every email or on your My Account page on the Website. This will direct you to an unsubscribe page where you can opt out of receiving our marketing emails.
13. HOW CAN I ACCESS, UPDATE OR DELETE "MY ACCOUNT" INFORMATION?
Accounts may be created during the ordering process. You can login to or manage your account by clicking the "My Account" link at the top of any page on our Website.
After logging in, you will be able to modify your identity and contact information, update your billing and shipping addresses and view past orders. To delete “My Account”, please contact our Customer Care email email@example.com or hotline +65 3163 4280.
For security purposes, credit/debit card information is not saved with your account. In no circumstances will we store your card’s CVV/CVC number.
Remember that you are responsible for protecting the user name and password for your account and, as set forth in the Terms and Conditions, you will be responsible for all activity occurring through the use of your user name and password.
You have the right to access personal data belonging to you (or if not belonging to you, if authorized by the applicable data subject). You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of your other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive; or we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We aim to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. However, it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. Please let us know if your personal information changes during your use of the Service.
- www.newbalance.com.sg, and any other website operated by or on behalf of New Balance Singapore Pte Ltd or any of its affiliates (together the “Website”)
- 1. WHAT ARE COOKIES?
- 4. HOW CAN I MANAGE MY COOKIE PREFERENCES?
1. WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are small text files that are transferred and stored by your web browser to your computer or mobile device when you visit or use a website. Cookies contain information that is unique to your web browser, which means they can be used to distinguish you from other website users and allow the website to remember your choices and preferences during your visit.
Cookies can be considered as ‘first party’ or ‘third party’ cookies depending on the domain that places them. First party cookies are cookies set by a website visited by the user (so in this instance, are cookies placed by the New Balance on our Website). Third party cookiesare set by a domain other than that of the website visited by the user, so if a user visits a website and a third party organisation sets a cookie through that website, this would be a third party cookie.
New Balance has both first and third party cookies on our Website. Cookies can also be considered as ‘persisten’ or ‘session’ cookies depending on their duration. Persistent cookies remain on a user's device for the period of time specified in those cookies, and are activated each time that user visits the website that created the cookies, until the cookies expire or are disabled by the user. Session cookies allow the actions of a user to be linked during a single browsing session. A session starts when a user opens a browser window and ends when the browser window is closed, following which all session cookies are deleted.
Pixel tags and Web beacons are tiny graphic images that allow us or preferred service providers to track analytic information about your visit to our Website (such as pages viewed or links clicked) and monitor when HTML emails are opened.
- provide essential features and functionality on our Website, such as enabling you to select products, place them in your shopping basket and make a purchase;
- make our Website as easy and intuitive as possible for you to use;
- monitor and analyse Website usage and performance so that we can measure the effectiveness of our Website, improve how it operates (including security) and the product selection and services available through it;
- recognise you when you return to our Website in order to improve functionality for your benefit, particularly if you have chosen to use the “My Account” service;
- for New Balance to market to you, particularly web banner advertisements and targeted updates;
- alert you to new areas that may be of interest to you; and
- remember certain information about your browsing activity on our Website, such as the web pages or products you have viewed and what your preferences are. This information can then be used to personalise and improve the way you interact with our Website (for example, in terms of displaying content that we think might be relevant to you based on your previous activity) and to inform you of special offers and promotions that are tailored to your interests (where you have consented to receiving marketing communications from us).
We also permit a number of third party cookies on our website to assist and enable our marketing programmes and to meet our contractual obligations to record business transactions that were driven by leads (advertisements/ links) from third party websites.
Different cookies have different functions. Our Website uses the following cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential for our Website to operate. For example, they enable you to log into secure areas of our website (such as “My Account”, if you choose to create one) or add products to your shopping basket so you are able to view and pay for these when you have finished browsing. Some of the cookies we use help secure your browsing session and verify that the session is valid. You cannot opt out of these cookies as the Website cannot function properly without them.
We use some first party cookies and these allow us to measure and analyse how you use our Website so that we can measure the effectiveness of our Website and improve the way our Website works. We also use third party analytics providers to assist us with this process. Our main analytic provider is Google, Inc. through their Google Analytics platform.
To find out more about Google Analytics you can follow this link: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en-GB.
You can opt-out of Google analytics. To find out how please visit: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
These cookies allow our Website to remember choices you make when visiting and recognise you when you return in order to provide functionality for your benefit. For example, functionality cookies allow our website to remember settings that are specific to you, such as your login details for “My Account” if you choose to create an account with us, so that you don’t have to log back in from the same device each time you visit (provided the relevant cookie was not disabled in the interim).
These cookies track your use of our Website, including the web pages or products you have viewed or put in your shopping basket. This information enables us to build a profile of your preferences so that we can display content on our Website and other websites and apps that is more relevant to you and your interests. This may include delivering targeted advertising on our Website or other websites and apps that you visit, or preventing you being targeted by advertisements or limiting the number of times you see a particular advertisement.
In addition, if you have consented to receiving marketing communications from us by email, direct mail, SMS text or telephone, we will use the information collected by these cookies to provide you with special offers and promotions that are tailored to your preferences, based on your previous activity on our Website. These cookies will also enable us to measure and analyse the effectiveness of marketing campaigns.
We work with a number of providers of tracking services. The cookies employed by these service providers allow them to record business transactions generated by third party leads and advertisements and allow us to pay commission to the originators of those leads. The purpose of the tracking cookies is to allocate one successful advertisement to a particular transaction and to perform the corresponding billing services. Personally identifiable information is neither collected nor processed nor used in this tracking.
4. HOW CAN I MANAGE MY COOKIE PREFERENCES?
The analytical/performance, functionality and targeting/advertising cookies on our Website are not strictly necessary for our Website to function but improve the overall performance of our Website and provide you with a better user experience. You can delete or block these cookies by changing the setting on your web browser that allows you to delete or block the setting of some or all cookies. Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. Each browser is a little different, so check your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings.
However, please note that if you do delete or block cookies, we cannot ensure that all pages on our Website will be displayed and/or that all the features and functions of our Website will be fully available. However, you can still place orders over the telephone by calling Customer Care hotline +65 3163 4280
Please note that if you use different computers or mobile devices to access and use our Website, you will need to ensure that each web browser on each device is adjusted to suit your cookie preferences.